UPDATED AS OF FEBRUARY 7:
The new Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program provides support for property tax and energy costs to businesses that are most impacted by public health measures in response to the Omicron variant.
- Eligible businesses that are required to close or reduce capacity will receive rebate payments for a portion of the property tax and energy costs they incur while subject to these measures.
- Eligible businesses required to reduce capacity to 50 per cent, such as smaller retail stores, will receive a rebate payment equivalent to 50 per cent of their property tax and energy costs.
- Eligible businesses required to close for indoor activities, such as restaurants and gyms, will receive a rebate payment equal to 100 per cent of their costs.
- As of February 7, 2022, some eligible business types will be able to submit two billing cycles for rebates based on their specific restriction duration and capacity restriction level.
The Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program Guide includes a full list of eligible businesses and is available at businesses-get-help-covid-19-costs.
Payments to eligible businesses are retroactive to December 19, 2021.
- Business must be subject to a provincially-mandated capacity limit of 50 per cent or lower (including a requirement to temporarily close)
- Business must pay commercial (non-residential) property taxes and/or non-residential energy costs – either directly or through the property owner (as detailed in their lease)
- Not-for-profits and charities may be eligible if their operations/service is impacted by the capacity limits and meets the eligibility criteria.
To apply, visit Businesses: Get help with COVID-19 costs and follow the link to complete the online application.
- Businesses are required to submit proof of costs associated with property tax and/or energy bills as part of the application process.
- Businesses applying to the Ontario Business Costs Rebate Program for the first time should select ‘Apply for Funding.’ Businesses that have applied for one energy billing cycle and are now eligible to submit a second cycle of bills should select ‘Resume Application.’
- Approved applicants will receive funds via Electronic Fund Transfer directly into their business bank account. Business bank accounts must be located in Ontario.
- Funds will not be deposited into a personal account used for business purposes.
For questions contact ServiceOntario at:
Toll-free TTY: 1-800-268-7095
Call centres are open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EDT, excluding government and statutory holidays.